Thursday, October 15, 2009

Nanny, Banny Bo Banny

We have just come home from visiting the 'grands' in Midwestville. What a great time we had. My daughter and I did spend one decadent afternoon clothes shopping for Me (I've finally allowed myself to climb to the top of the list) and I am most pleased with my purchases. There were no big decorating jobs, no painting, no planting, just a couple of quick seams for a cushion cover and 2 tiny valances. It is interesting that as I look back on those 3 days I'm ashamed at how little time I actually sat down with the girls and just focused on them. I did play a couple of games of Candyland and 2 games of Shutes and Ladders with my oldest granddaughter, there was an interesting game of 'restaurant waitress' played by myself and the 2 girls involving copious amounts of pretend coffee "just right, Nanna, not hot". Where did all the other hours that ticked by go? The girls did play an interesting game with their Uncle J involving plastic play food and a tea set, WII golf with Daddy and Poppy, ran around outside, painted and made some kind of sand pies in the sandbox. We did sit and eat meals and the girls do go to bed early but really, tictoc tictoc time just slips away. Is it because they are still quite young and often play within the periphery of others without connecting directly? Is it because they really had quite a lot to do with all the extra people? Am I being unrealistic thinking that I could/should actually visit and absorb them for hours at a stretch???? Maybe it's enough to just BE the Nanna. I know I'm grateful to have them in my life. I love you my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment